Math 415/515: Combinatorics and Graph Theory; Fall
Dr. Stefan Forcey
Textbook: Required: Introductory
Combinatorics (5th edition) by Richard Brualdi, Prentice Hall.
- Office: CAS 275
- Office Phone: 330 972 6779
- Email is sforcey (AT) uakron.edu (...this is the best way to get a hold of
- Office hours:
- If you can't make my office hours, let me know and we can try to
a time to meet. Here is my schedule
for the fall semester.
The syllabus will include information about grading
should definitely read it.
Here's an approximate schedule of
what we'll be doing this semester. Emphasis on the "approximate".
• Aug. 25: Day one.
• Sep. 7: No class on Labor day.
• Chapter 2: Counting
• Chapter 5: Pascal’s Triangle
• Sep. 6: Last day to drop.
• Chapter 6 : Inclusion Exclusion
• TEST 1. October 6, Review
• Oct. 15: Last day to w/draw.
• Chapter 7: Recurrence and Generating Functions
• Chapter 11: Graphs
• TEST 2. Nov. 20
Here is some additional review
for the second exam.
Here are the answers with some work shown.
Also study quizzes and hw!.
• Nov. 28: Thanksgiving.
• Dec. 4: Last day.
• Final Exam
Homework and Quizzes
Homework will be posted here on this webpage, along with either the due date for the
homework to be turned in or more usually the date for the quiz (if the hw is not turned in.)
No makeup quizzes will be given, but 15 quiz/homework points will be dropped.
There will be two in-class tests and a final.
- Test 1:
- Test 2:
- Final Exam:
H. Wilf: generatingfunctionology
A great resource is wolfram|alpha.
Here is the ordinary generating function for the triangular numbers, n choose 2.
Here is the exponential generating function for the triangular numbers, n choose 2.
Of course the OEIS.
Here is the open question of counting numbers of posets.
The text of this page was adapted, with permission, from an original course site by J.P. Cossey.