Math 149, Section 5: Precalculus; Fall
Time and Location:
MTuWF 11:00 - 11:50 AM in Crouse 211.
Dr. James (JP) Cossey
Textbook: Required: Precalculus (2nd
edition) by John W. Coburn.
- Office: CAS 234
- Office Phone: 330 972 8127
- Email is email@example.com (which is the best way to get a hold of
- Office hours:
- Mon 2-3
- Wed 3-4
- Thu 10-11
- If you can't make my office hours, let me know and we can try to
a time to meet. Here is my schedule
for the fall semester.
The syllabus will include information about grading
policies, exam schedules and policies, etc. You
should definitely read it.
Homework and Quizzes
Homework problems will come from this list, except I might add in a few
more problems here and there. Homeowrk will be due on Fridays, and
which sections of homework will be due when will be posted on this page.
- Due Friday, August 28th: 3.7 problems.
- Due Friday, September 4th: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 problems
- Due Friday, September 11th: 4.4 problems, 5.1 problems up to 51.
- Due Friday, September 18th: 5.1 problems (after 51), 5.2, 5.3.
- Due Friday, September 25th: 5.4, 5.5, 5.6. NOTE: Since there is
exam on Friday 9/25, there will be no quiz Friday 9/25.
- Due Friday, October 2nd: 5.7, 6.1.
- Due Friday, October 9th: 6.2, 6.3, 6.4.
- Due Friday, October 16th: the rest of 6.4 (after problem 64), 6.5,
- Due Friday, October 23rd: 6.7, 7.1, 7.2.
- Due Friday, October 30th: 8.1, 8.2 (NOTE: since Exam 2 is on this
date, there will not be a quiz).
- Due Friday, November 6th: 8.3, 8.5, 8.7D
- Due Friday, November 13th: 8.8A, 10.1, 10.2
- Due Friday, November 20th: 10.3, 10.7
- Due WEDNESDAY December 2nd: 9.2, 9.4. 10.4. NOTE: This homework
is due Wednesday, and there will be a quiz on Wednesday the 2nd over
this material. We will use Friday for a final exam review.
We will have a quiz every week, except for the weeks we have exams
(exam dates TBA, but they will be on Fridays). The quizzes will be at
the end of class on Fridays (about 15 minutes) and will cover the
sections that that week's homework covered. No makeup quizzes will be
given, but the lowest quiz grade will be dropped.
There will be three in-class exams, on the dates posted below. (Dates
will also be
announced in class.) The final exam is Monday, December
7th, 8:00 AM - 9:55 AM.
- Exam 1: Friday, September 25th.
- Exam 2: TBA
- Exam 3: TBA