Math 307: Fundamentals of Advanced Mathematics; Section 1, Spring 2019.
Time and Location:
TuTh 8:45-10:00 in Schrank N 351.
Dr. James (JP) Cossey
Textbook: Required: "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics", by Chartrand, Polimeni, and Zhang (third edition).
- Office: CAS 234
- Office Phone: 330 972 8127
- Email is firstname.lastname@example.org (which is the best way to get a hold of
- Office hours:
- If you can't make my office hours, let me know and we can try to
a time to meet. Here is my schedule
for the spring semester.
The syllabus will include information about grading
policies, exam schedules and policies, etc. You
should definitely read it.
Here's an approximate schedule of
what we'll be doing this semester. Emphasis on the "approximate".
There will be homework assigned weekly, and the
assignments will be posted here.
- Homework 1, due Tuesday, January 29th.
- Homework 2, due (date change) Tuesday, February 12th.
- Homework 3, due Thursday, February 14th. This brief homework covers the last topics that are fair game for the first exam.
- Homework 4, due Thursday, February 28th. Note: this one doesn't have a lot of problems, but they're longer, so don't procrastinate!
- Homework 5, due Tuesday, March 12th.
- Homework 6, due Thursday, March 21st.
- Homework 7, due Thursday, April 11th.
- Homework 8, due Thursday, April 25th.
We will have a number of writing projects throughout the semester, which will be posted here.
- Exam 1: Thursday, February 14th, covering Chapters 1 and 2. Here are some reviews: Review 1 and review 2, but I also recommend looking at the extra problems at the end of each chapter. Here are solutions to the first practice exam.
- Exam 2: Thursday, March 21st, covering Chapters 3, 4, 5, and maybe some of 6 (TBD). Here are some reviews: practice exam 1, practice exam 2, and practice exam 3. Here ae solutions to the first practice exam.
- Exam 3: Thursday, April 25th, Chapters 6, 8, some of 9. Here are some reviews: practice exam 1, practice exam 2, practice exam 3. Some suggested Chapter 9 problems: 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 13, 20, 21, 22, 25, 26, 30, 32. Solutions to two of the practice exams.
- Final Exam: Tuesday, May 7th, 12:15-2:15 in our normal classroom.