Math 307: Fundamentals of Advanced Mathematics; Section 1, Spring 2014.
Time and Location:
MWF 8:50-9:40 in Zook 310.
Dr. James (JP) Cossey
Textbook: Required: "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics", by Chartrand, Polimeni, and Zhang (second edition).
- Office: CAS 234
- Office Phone: 330 972 8127
- Email is email@example.com (which is the best way to get a hold of
- Office hours:
- Mondays 10-11
- Wednesdays 10-11
- Fridays 10-11
- If you can't make my office hours, let me know and we can try to
a time to meet. Here is my schedule
for the spring semester.
The syllabus will include information about grading
policies, exam schedules and policies, etc. You
should definitely read it.
Here's an approximate schedule of
what we'll be doing this semester. Emphasis on the "approximate".
There will be homework assigned weekly, and the
assignments will be posted here.
Homework 1, due Wednesday, January 22nd.
Homework 2, due Friday, January 31st.
Homework 3, due Wednesday, February 12th.
Homework 4, due Wednesday, February 26th. Note the "Proof without words" problem.
Homework 5, due Friday, March 7th. Note the "Proof without words" problem repeated.
Homework 6, due Wednesday, March 19th. Note the new "Proof without words" problem.
Homework 7, due Friday, April 7th.
Homework 8, due Friday, April 18th.
Homework 9, due Friday, April 25th. Note that this homework will not be collected and graded, but one problem from it will be on the exam.
Homework 10, due Friday, 9th. Note that this homework will not be collected and graded but (at least) one problem from this homework will be on the final.
- Exam 1: Friday, February 14th. Here is a practice exam you can use to start studying. Here is another practice exam.
- Exam 2: Wednesday, March 19th. Will cover the topics from Chapter 3 through 5.2. Here is an old exam you can use to study. Technically we haven't covered the material in the very last part of the very last problem, but I bet you could figure it out.
- Exam 3: Friday, April 25th. Here is a practice exam.
- Final Exam: Friday, May 9th 10:00-11:55 AM in our room. Here is a practice final you can use to start studying. You can skip problem 4.