Math 307: Fundamentals of Advanced Mathematics; Section 1, Spring 2012.
Time and Location:
MWF 8:50 to 9:40 in Leigh 410.
Dr. James (JP) Cossey
Textbook: Required: "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics", by Chartrand, Polimeni, and Zhang (second edition).
- Office: CAS 234
- Office Phone: 330 972 8127
- Email is firstname.lastname@example.org (which is the best way to get a hold of
- Office hours:
- Mon 10-11
- Tues 9-10
- Th 11-12
- If you can't make my office hours, let me know and we can try to
a time to meet. Here is my schedule
for the spring semester.
The syllabus will include information about grading
policies, exam schedules and policies, etc. You
should definitely read it.
Here's an approximate schedule of
what we'll be doing this semester. Emphasis on the "approximate".
There will be homework assigned weekly, and the
assignments will be posted here.
- Homework 1, due Friday, January 20th.
- Homework 2, due Monday January 30th.
- Homework 3, due Friday, February 10th.
- Homework 4, due Wednesday, February 22nd.
- Homework 5, due Friday, March 2nd.
- Homework 6, due Friday, March 23rd.
- Homework 7, due Wednesday, April 4th.
- Homework 8, due Friday, April 13th.
- Homework 9, due Wednesday, April 25th.
- Homework 10: Ch 12: 2, 3, 4, 7, 9. Note that this homework will NOT be collected or graded. However, one of these problems is guaranteed to be on the final.
- Exam 1: Friday, February 10th, through Section 2.10. Here is a review sheet for the first exam, consisting basically of old exam questions I've written.
- Exam 2: Friday, March 23rd, Chapters 3, 4, and 5. Here is a practice exam.
- Exam 3: Wednesday, April 25th, Chapters 6, 8, and 9. Here is a practice exam.
- Final Exam: Friday, May 4th, 10-11:55 AM, in our regular classroom. Here is a practice exam for the final, which is actually the final I gave last spring.