Math 307: Fundamentals of Advanced Mathematics; Section 2, Spring 2011.
Time and Location:
MWF 8:50 to 9:40 in Leigh 308.
Dr. James (JP) Cossey
Textbook: Required: "Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics", by Chartrand, Polimeni, and Zhang (second edition).
- Office: CAS 234
- Office Phone: 330 972 8127
- Email is firstname.lastname@example.org (which is the best way to get a hold of
- Office hours:
- Monday: 2-3
- Tuesday: 10-11
- Thursday: 11-12
- If you can't make my office hours, let me know and we can try to
a time to meet. Here is my schedule
for the spring semester.
The syllabus will include information about grading
policies, exam schedules and policies, etc. You
should definitely read it.
Here's an approximate schedule of
what we'll be doing this semester. Emphasis on the "approximate".
There will be homework assigned weekly, and the
assignments will be posted here.
- Homework 1, due Friday, January 21st in class.
(Please remember to staple your homework!)
- Homework 2, due Monday, January 31st in class.
- Homework 3, due Wednesday, February 9th.
- Homework 4, due Friday, February 18th. Note the "proof without words" problem - if you didn't get a copy of the handout in class, there should be some on the bulleting board outside my office (CAS 234).
- Homework 5, due Wednesday, March 2nd.
- Homework 6, due Wednesday, March 23rd. Note the proof without words problem.
- Homework 7, due Friday, April 1st.
- Homework 8, due Wednesday, April 13th.
- Homework 9, due Wednesday, April 20th (the day of the exam): Chapter 8: 21, 23, 24, 27
- Homework 10, due Friday, April 29th.
- Exam 1: Friday, February 18th in class.
- Exam 2: Wednesday, April 20th in class.
- Final Exam: Friday May 6th, 10:00-11:55 AM in the regular classroom.
- Here are some old exams that you can use as a review for the final: the final exam, the first exam, and the second exam. Note there are a couple of problems (involving gcd's and convergent sequences) that are from topics that we didn't cover, so you don't need to worry about those.