Math 412/512: Abstract Algebra II; Section 1, Spring 2012.
Time and Location:
MWF 1:10 to 2:00 in Leigh 307.
Dr. James (JP) Cossey
Textbook: Required: "Contemporary Abstract Algebra; 7th Edition", by Joseph A. Gallian.
- Office: CAS 234
- Office Phone: 330 972 8127
- Email is firstname.lastname@example.org (which is the best way to get a hold of
- Office hours:
- Mon 10-11
- Tues 9-10
- Thurs 11-12
- If you can't make my office hours, let me know and we can try to
a time to meet. Here is my schedule
for the spring semester.
The syllabus will include information about grading
policies, exam schedules and policies, etc. You
should definitely read it.
Here's an approximate schedule of
what we'll be doing this semester. Emphasis on the "approximate".
There will be homework assigned weekly, and the
assignments will be posted here.
- Homework 1, due Friday, January 20th.
- Homework 2, due Wednesday, February 1st.
- Homework 3, due Monday, February 13th. Please note: some variation of one of the first 8 problems is guaranteed to be on the exam.
- Homework 4, due Wednesday, February 22nd.
- Homework 5, due Wednesday, March 7th.
- Homework 6, due Friday, March 23rd.
- Homework 7, due Wednesday, April 4th.
- Homework 8, due Wednesday, April 18th.
- Homework 9, due Wednesday, April 25th.
Like last semester, part of your grade will consists of a project that will be due at the end of the semester. Unlike last semester, there will be no poster session to show off your project at. Instead, you can either write a brief expository paper (about 4-5 pages) or give a presentation (about 25-30 minutes) in class for your project grade. You will be permitted (even encouraged) to work in pairs, and I will soon provide a list of some potential topics, though you shouldn't feel contrained to only those on the list. More information on the projects will be posted here shortly.
- Exam 1: Wedensday, February 8th. We will review in class on Monday, February 6th. Also, here is a review for the first exam.
- Exam 2: Friday, March 23rd. Here is a practice exam for the second exam.
- Exam 3: Take-home exam, due Friday, April 27th in class.
- Final Exam: Thursday, May 3rd 2:00-3:55 PM, in our regular classroom. Here's a list of questions I made a few years ago when I taught this class. You can safely ignore questions 9, 10, 13, and 14.